How Ignition Interlock Works
Ignition Interlock Devices analyze and measure the blood alcohol content of a driver before the vehicle can be started. Think of an ignition interlock device as a breathalyzer attached to your car’s ignition.
Maryland DUI Classification
The State of Maryland classifies a DUI as:
Driving with a BAC of .08 or higher
MARYLAND IGNITION INTERLOCK LAWS
If eligible, the driver may immediately opt-in – “elect” to participate – in Maryland’s Ignition Interlock Program instead of serving the Administrative Per Se suspension period (see Impaired Driving Laws). Your election to participate and instructions can be found on the reverse side of the driver copy of the "Order of Suspension".
REINSTATING A SUSPENDED MARYLAND DRIVER'S LICENSE
Instead of requesting a hearing upon the suspension or revocation of your driver’s license, you may elect to participate in the Ignition Interlock System Program during your suspension. An Ignition Interlock Election form is located on the reverse side of the driver’s copy of the Order of Suspension.
What Is An Ignition Interlock Device?
An ignition interlock is a device which is installed in your vehicle that measures the level of alcohol in your breath (a car breathalyzer) and prohibits the start of the vehicle if a level of alcohol is detected above your state requirements.
We're here to help you get started today.
Alcohol Detection Systems has been a leading ignition interlock device provider for over 15 years, helping drivers back on the road after a DUI.
If you apply to participate in Maryland’s IIS Program, you will be enrolled for:
1. 180 days for a BAC of at least 0.08 but less than 0.15
2. 1 year for a BAC of 0.15 or higher, or if you refused to submit to the testIf your participation is denied, in ALL cases a driver convicted of a DUI or DWI while transporting a minor must complete a mandatory IID restricted license period as part of their Court Order once their suspension/ revocation is over regardless.
To begin this period of restricted driving you must:
1. Serve the duration of your suspension/ revocation
2. Pay all upstanding fees - $1,000/ $2,000/ $3,000 as per your previous DUI offenses
3. Serve a minimum of 5 days in jail
4. Have an Ignition Interlock Device installed on your vehicle by an Approved Service Provider.
5. Surrender your valid license to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Association (MMVA)Your Service
Provider will coordinate with the MMVA and drivers are required to report to a service provider every 30 days to have the device calibrated and the data downloaded. Failure to report can result in removal from the program and suspension or revocation of your driver’s license.
7932 REICHS FORD RD FREDERICK MD 21704